1926: Monroe elementary school was built in the growing community of Benson, located west of the city of Omaha, to take care of the population movement and growth that was taking place in the area. The building contained five rooms, a large kindergarten and classroom downstairs and three classrooms upstairs. The principal, Miss Julia Newcombe, taught along with four other teachers.
1928: Second wing was added to school consisting of the principal's office and a teacher-nurse's room above the office.
1929: Seven teachers were assigned to Monroe. Grades K - 8 were taught.
1936: Third addition to building provided rooms for art, music, homemaking, shop, gym, library and seven classrooms. Ninth grade was added bringing enrollment to 682. The staff now consisted of a principal, 23 teachers and 3 custodians.
1937: Cafeteria opened.
1950: Enrollment drops to 370.
1955: Monroe's last year as elementary school: enrollment was 689. A new gymnasium was built in preparation for the Junior High Program. Other additions this year included the instrumental and vocal music areas, the auditorium and stage, main office area and two Home Economics classrooms.
1956: Monroe opens as Omaha's first Junior High School serving grades 7 - 9. Dr. Robert Brown served as principal. Photos of Monroe in 1956.
1963: Mr. Jack Hallstrom becomes principal.
1965: Swimming pool was completed along with the Industrial Arts area.
1971: Dr. Robert Bathke becomes principal.
1980: Dr. James E. Vincent becomes principal.
1987 - 1988: Ninth graders leave Monroe. Monroe now serves grades seven and eight.
1989: Monroe becomes a middle school, adopting middle school concepts, features, and philosophies.
1996-1997: Monroe begins major renovation on the building. Students are relocated for a period of two years. Seventh graders attend Nebraska School for the Deaf at 3223 N 45 Street and eighth graders attend Druid Hill at 3030 Spaulding.
1998: Monroe undergoes a 15 million dollar renovation. The new building better accommodates the middle school philosophy. There are team areas with clusters of classrooms, a locker area and rest room facilities. The commons area welcomes students to the school in grand style. The large multipurpose room has dining facilities and a stage. The spacious media center contains print, nonprint and electronic reference materials for student research as well books and magazines for recreational reading. The building network supports four computer labs and two computers in every classroom.
1999: Rededication of Building Renovation Ceremony. October 10, 1999. Browse pictures taken at the ceremony.
2000: Mr. Jim Schutz becomes principal.
2004: Mr. Herman Colvin becomes principal.